- Pre-Veterinary Medicine
- The Pre-Veterinary Medicine option is designed to prepare students for transfer to a major university and for preparation of application to a graduate school for a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree. Students following our option have been able to successfully apply for graduate school in the fall semester following their graduation from CSC. Students can also transfer to a university to major in Animal Biology, Animal Sciences, Wildlife studies, etc.
Introduction to Animal Science; Biology; Zoology; Microbiology; Chemistry I and II; Trigonometry; Physics I and II.
- Career Opportunities
- Doctor of Veterinary MedicineStudents pursuing this avenue will need to acquire an Associates and Bachelors Degrees and apply for graduate school to pursue the D.V.M. degree.
People with biology degrees specializing in pre-veterinary work often find jobs at pet shops as groomers and animal care providers. You need specific skills to handle snakes, reptiles and other exotic pets. Dog and cat care vary depending on the size of the pet store and whether it’s a franchise. Many shops do not keep animals in stock but will employ those with related degrees to tend to customers’ animal care questions. Those with undergraduate degrees can also find work at training schools, where people bring their animals to learn obedience or show commands. They could also work as groomers in a kennel or animal hospital.
Biology students can branch into wildlife studies, including preservation and observation of species in national parks, residential areas or state forests. They would work either for an organization or the government, alongside those working for the parks system. Jobs for an undergraduate could include tagging, logging or assisting those doing animal studies research for academia. People with pre-vet experience often work as park rangers, ecologists, foresters, wildlife rehabilitators or environmentalists.
A biology degree with a specialization in pre-vet courses can give job seekers a leg up when they apply at zoos. Handling caged animals requires patience and care, and those allowed to touch them must have proper certification. It’s much easier to get that certification if the groundwork is already in place. Zoo keepers are responsible for feeding the animals and keeping their environment pristine. They also guide tours and give out factual information to curious tourists.
With a bachelor’s of science degree and a pre-vet strength, students can also apply for positions in large organizations meant to help animals, such as the World Wildlife Federation. If a graduate has a particular political bend, she might find the organization People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals or other animal rights groups a good fit. These activists work mainly with people, educating them about animal abuse and teaching them alternate lifestyles that protect animals. On the local level, many shelters and pounds employ pre-vet majors to help care for pets, feral animals and wildlife that come in injured or abandoned.
- Student Opportunities
Shotgun Shooting Sports Club
- The CSC Shotgun Shooting Sports Club is one of the most active clubs on campus, hosting weekly 5-stand or trap and skeet shoots open to all club members and guests. The club includes students, faculty and staff, and is very active in fundraising and FFA/4H shooting events. Participants in the club have an opportunity to learn six separate shooting sports, including: International Skeet and Trap, American Skeet and Trap, Five-Stand, and Sporting Clays.
- Many four-year schools within the state offer shooting sports clubs for CSC Shotgun Shooting Sports Members to continue their pursuit of competitive shooting as they continue their education. Schools with shooting sports clubs in the state include OSU, OU, and TU.
Shotgun Shooting Sports Team
- The CSC Shotgun Shooting Sports Team is composed of the best shooters from the Shooting Sports Club. Team members travel to multiple ACUI shooting competitions (listed below) throughout the region each semester.
- Ten scholarships will be available each semester for those students that qualify.
- Degree Plan
- [CSCCatalog degree=’AGpvm’]